We're Killing Ourselves!

Typically, I’m the type of person who will read a label before consuming anything. I check for ingredients, caloric tables, as well as expiration dates. I’m constantly scared of getting sick off food. At the grocery store, they usually don't put anything down, such as labels or warnings on ground meat or steak. I just have to risk it.

I’ve also been known to be a hypochondriac. I hear the sounds of ‘ca-chiNg’ as I walk into the doctor’s office. They know I’m there for something irrational, whether it be blood tests, allergy tests or just a physical…for the third time this year. I should be worrying about all the germs I may be contracting by sitting among all the sick people. I just don’t touch the magazines.

This morning, I was planning to have a peaceful start. I got up, brushed my teeth, had some oatmeal and made my coffee. I started flipping through, The World’s Greatest Treasury of Health Secrets, by Bottom Line Books, who have numerous doctors being the author of each article. This one article I read was by Samuel S. Epstein MD. It’s a great book full of health tips.

As I’m flipping through the pages, to my horror, there were many toxic things I’ve been consuming and using that I didn’t even know about...and...that you didn't even know about probably.

Check this out...

Toothpaste – Many popular brands of toothpaste contain Blue #1, which is a carcinogen. Fluoride is also a suspected carcinogen.
Safer: Natural toothpaste without fluoride.

In a few months, you’ll see me with chipped off green teeth. Lovely.

Hair conditioner – Some brands contain formaldehyde and the carcinogenic dye FDEC Red #4.
Safer: Natural, plant-based conditioners.

And you think my hair is big now…just wait until I don’t have the right conditioner for it.

Talcum powder – Talc irritates the lungs and has been linked to ovarian cancer.
Safer: Products made with cornstarch.

Makeup – Cosmetics often contain talc, titanium dioxide and/or the preservative BHA—all of which are carcinogenic. In addition, lanolin found in many brands if often tainted with DDT.
Safer: Natural, plant based cosmetics.

Plant based cosmetics? Are you kidding? All my drag queen friends are going to be furious!

Now those are the things that I use on a daily basis. Let’s take a look at the other dangers lurking in your home…
Shaving creams, laundry detergents, air fresheners, hair dyes, whole milk, (buy the organic skim for all of you who are panicking now), weed killers, paint strippers, flea collars, moth repellents and kitty litter.

All of them contain that carcinogenic ingredient that can be harmful to you. I have a few friends and family probably reading this in hysterics, knowing that “Deb” read this particular book, and is now suffering all day panicking over toothpaste and conditioning my hair. I also had to do a load of laundry later on. Hmm...maybe I'll just have my cute girlfriend do that for me.

China’s been beaten down for having toxic chemicals in their products. Shouldn’t America be slapped on the wrist as well for letting this slide through the federal regulations? Dr. Epstein says, “Federal regulations that govern the labeling of consumer products are woefully inadequate. Consequently, it’s difficult for consumers to find out precisely which products contain dangerous ingredients or contaminants—and which are safe.”

Shouldn't we have the right to know which dangers are in our products?

I have to stop reading this book or I’ll stop living life altogether!

Help?